The Hydra 985 develops whatever pull is necessary to overcome the resistance on the line. Pulls up to 24,000 lbs. can be developed to handle the most stubborn pulling situations. Line pull ratings are “bare drum” ratings measured with a dynamometer and achieved on a Model 8050 Break-Away Reel. Ratings will diminish or increase depending on the size reel used, its flange width, core diameter and amount of line on the reel. High coefficient of friction rollers assure best performance possible on any given reel.
The hydraulic powered idler wheel, first developed by Hogg & Davis, Inc., adds ease to job set-up – a truck is not necessary to position the unit. In the yard the unit can be easily maneuvered for loading and hitch-up to the truck. At the job site, the operator easily unhitches the unit and spots it easily for the pull. This allows the unit to go where the truck cannot fit-narrow alleys, sidewalks, underground parking structures, etc. This feature also greatly eliminates the fear of back injury associated with trying to muscle non-powered units into position.
FRICTION DRIVE SYSTEM
Hogg & Davis’ pioneered and proven friction drive system provides drive to the reel. Independent drive roller housings and center mounted power unit provide four-roller contact at all times, regardless of reel shape. The housings feature piloted flange bearings and chain slack adjusters, as well as chrome plated drive roller axles and drive shaft. The drive shaft also provides power for an auxiliary capstan or CR reel.
MAIN CONTROL PANEL
Designed with the operator in mind and located at front curbside, the main control panel puts all engine and pulling controls and associated gauges within easy access of the operator. The single axis, proportional pulling control features the capability to “inch” or “creep” the cable being pulled, or provide full “brute” force for the toughest jobs. Micro switch activated, the pulling control is spring returned to a fully locked, neutral position. Merely releasing the control stick brings all pulling operations to a stop.
The operator also has the capability of shifting the two-speed final drive “on-the-fly” without halting the pull. All switches and gauges are waterproof for operation in the toughest conditions. Full function gauges monitor oil pressure, water temperature, fuel level, and amps. Tachometer and hour meters are also provided as well as hydrastatic pressure gauge. An engine preheat indicator, control position switch and switches for optional functions complete the control panel.
Simple and easy operation is afforded with centrally located control valves. The lifting cylinders, power unit slide, drawbar height and Steer-Go power steering are all controlled from this position. All controls are spring returned to neutral and are positioned to indicate the direction of the function they control. A 0-3000 psi hydraulic gauge is provided at this position for easy monitoring. The Steer-Go power steering (located curbside) features a two-axis joystick control that controls steering and motion functions of the powered idler wheel.
Open yoke design and multiple pocket lifting racks provide uniform ground clearance and low center of gravity hauling for reels up to 108 inches in diameter and 56 inches wide. Lifts are stabilized and mechanically locked to relieve load from cylinders with weight transferred to the trailer mainframe. No supporting equipment is required during the loading process. Specially designed cylinders will handle reels up to 20,000 lbs.
REAR CONTROL PANEL
Located at the rear of the curbside fender, these controls offer the operator a clear view for underground pulling operations. From this position the operator can control all pulling operations, engine throttle and hi-low speed functions. When the unit is equipped with an optional levelwind for hydraulic tool circuit, those functions can also be controlled from this position. The rear control panel is electronically isolated from the front control panel by a switch that eliminates electrical back-feed or inadvertent activation of the front controls.
The Hydra 985 easily accommodates reels up to 108″ diameter and 56″ wide. The power unit slides fore and aft hydraulically to adjust for varying diameters. The drive roller housings are easily adjusted for reel width by use of crank actuated screws.
- Fully boxed and reinforced, open yoke, “zero deflection” main frame
- Boxed and reinforced drawbar with replaceable towing eye and safety chains
- Fully welded fenders and integrated tool boxes
- Two-point T-handle latches w/locks and full length piano hinged tool box doors
- 20,000 lb. Stub spindle axle with machined attachment plates
- Full air brakes w/ABS
- 14/80R20 tires and tubes; 9:00 x 20 rims
- Double shock mounted lights with pigtail connectors and terminal blocks (FMVSS 108)
- Multi-pocket vertical lift hydraulic mandrel racks with mechanical locks and stabilizers
- 2 1/2″ heat treated reel mandrel with centering cones, locking collars and Nylatron® bearings
- Hydraulically raised and lowered drawbar with load locked cylinder
- Hydraulically powered idler wheel with solid rubber tire and Steer-Go power steering system with anti-cavitation valves
- Four (4) bank hydraulic control valve with pressure relief, gauge, and positional levers
- Stainless steel hydraulic tubing.
- Electric throttle activation at front and rear control positions
- Micro switch energized electric/hydraulic proportional controllers at front and rear control positions
- Closed loop Hydrastatic System
- Two-speed final drive with electric activated shift at front and rear control positions
- Open center auxiliary Hydraulic System
- Load locked cylinder provides pressure to reel
- 2 7/16″ chrome plated drive shaft with piloted flange and pillow block bearings
- Auxiliary power shaft with bayonet
- Hydraulic oil cooler mounted at engine radiator air intake
- Filtration: Full flow with relief and condition indicator with replaceable spin-off cartridge. Flo Ezy® wire mesh filter on suction line inside tank
- 0-5000 psi Hydrastatic pressure gauge at front control panel
- 0-3000 psi auxiliary pressure gauge at control valve bank
- Lighted gauges for oil pressure, water temp, ammeter, fuel level
- Lighted tachometer and hour meter
- Fully hooded with hinged doors for easy access
- Enclosed battery compartment with external battery connector
- Type: YANMAR 3TNV88C-DYEM Cylinders: 3
- Bore: 84mm (3.31 in.) Stroke: 90mm (3.54 in) Disp.: 1.497 L (91.2 CID)
- Power Rating: 36.8 hp @ 3000 rpm Standard Conditions
- Combustion: Continuous, Direct Injection
- Ignition: Keyed switch Off, Run
- Cold Weather Pack: Start block heater is standard
- Length: 197 Inches (5033 mm)
- Width: 94 Inches (2438 mm)
- Height: 80 Inches (2032 mm)
- Approximate weight: 7200 lbs.